Geology/Minerals identification help please

Question
Rock 1
Rock 1  

Rock 2
Rock 2  
Hi. I live near Hattiesburg, Mississippi. I was hoping you could help me identify our rock for my grandson's mineral collection. Thanks for your time!

Answer
While identification from pictures is always a little tricky, I can tell you that your rock specimen is most likely an igneous rock. These type of rocks are created from previously molten material. Igneous rocks form on the surface by volcanic eruptions. When lava cools, it forms a very fine grained igneous rock, such as lava rock.
However, molten material can also be stuck underground and never make it to the surface. As it cools very slowly underground it will turn into an igneous rock that is very coarse grained with visible mineral grains. These are called plutonic igneous rocks. Your specimen is most likely such a plutonic igneous rock with an added special quality. The crystals or minerals in it a very large and of a certain composition. Such an igneous rock is called a Pegmatite, a very coarse grained, usually granitic type rock, with sometimes extremely large crystals.
The clear to milky material in your specimen is most likely the mineral quartz (SiO2), which is very common. If you see any small silvery flakes in your sample, these are Muscovite mica (KAl2(AlSi3O10)(F,OH)2). The blackish material is hard to distinguish from the picture. Possibilities are the mineral magnetite (Fe3O4) (see if a magnet sticks to it), or it could be hornblende ((Ca,Na)23(Mg,Fe,Al)5(Al,Si)8O22(OH,F)2), this is what I assume the larger black blob might be, or it could be black tourmaline, also known as schorl (Na(Fe32+)Al6(Si6O18)(BO3)3(OH)3(OH)), especially if it has an hexagonal outline, or if it is flaky it could be the black mica Biotite (K(Mg,Fe)3AlSi3O10(OH)2), or a combination of these minerals.
However, in general, the State of Mississippi is not known for actual large outcrops of plutonic igneous rocks. Thus your specimen is most likely a "transplant" from a distant area, arriving in Mississippi through ice transport during the last ice age.  

Geology

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)