Geology/source rock evalation

Assalam o Alaikum ..
Respected sir... if someone want to work on the source rock evaluation(TOC, rock eval , biomarker studies, and carbon or oxygen isotops studies)  of the upper Indus Basin then what formation will be the best for these studies except patala,Datta and chichali???

I will be very thankful if you give me some suggestions ... thanks

Dear Shah Faisal

Thanks for sending me your question.
I want to tell you how you should pick the formation for source rock analysis without being biased by age and name.

Source rock primary diagnostic characteristics based on its physical appearance are color and density. If you are in the field, any dark gray, black and blackish gray color rock could be a potential source rock but then check its density. Due to the higher percentage of organic carbon in rock tends to lighter in weight and density.

Furthermore, rock selection for detailed analysis should also be based on its origin of deposition as mostly marine rocks are more prone to be source rock but several world-class source rocks are nonmarine as well. So you should use all three diagnostic criteria first and then pick the rocks for  source rock characterization. Once I made a mistake in the field when I was biased with black color f the rock and I have added in the list of further analysis. Results had shown very lean TOC and when I checked the density of the rock which was higher than any source rock I realized my own error of judgment as I did not take into account its density. So color could deceive you so you have to combine several parameters for final selection. For Upper Indus basin you can try this basic method for source rock evaluation.

Hope, this helps

Syed Tariq Hasany

MY HUMBLE REQUEST. BEFORE SENDING A QUESTION PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING CAREFULY. ANSWERING ONLY PUBLIC QUESTIONS. Ask questions of exploration of Petroleum, and specific regions for specific answers about Pakistan, Central Asia, Middle East and Far East. Ask questions of Business side of the petroleum Geology. Love to guide students and also Career related issues PRIVATE QUESTIONS on I am not expert of Hard rocks (Igneous and metamorphic rocks)Volcanic activity and related petrology, mineralogy and its exploration. BE SPECIFOC WHAT YOU WANT TO KNOW AND ASK WITH DIGNITY AND RESPECT. Show me your determination and commitment to learn. PLEASE TRY TO WRITE RIGHT, PROPER AND CORRECT LANGUAGE. DO NOT USE TEXT(SMS)STYLE. Thanks TARIQ

Petroleum Exploration

Petronas Carigali Sdn Bhd

In Pakistani and Asian Petroleum Confertence special Publications

BSc Honours in Geology and Master of Science degree in Petroleum Geology

Active member AAPG, SPE and PAPG Treasurer PAPG and AAPG Visiting Geoscientist