Geology/Can you identify?

Question
MYSTERY ROCK 1
MYSTERY ROCK 1  

MYSTERY ROCK 2
MYSTERY ROCK 2  
I have rock that neither the Univ of MN, the MN Geological Society nor the MN Science Museum could identify. I was wondering if you could. It would be greatly appreciated. The attached pictures are of a small slice of a 50 pound boulder.  Thanks again.

Answer
Hi Richard,
It is always difficult to identify specimens from pictures alone. At first glance your mystery rock looks like it is inundated with dark colored concretions. But this is about all I can glean from your pictures.
If I could get an actual small sample of your mystery rock, I could offer you a in depth analysis, especially if I could destroy the sample using a variety of analytical procedure.
Here at Metropolitan State University of Denver we provide free mineral (rock) analysis for industry and community as an outreach. I assign a client and the associated sample(s) to a student in my mineralogy course. Under my supervision, they have one semester to identify / analyze the sample and prepare a detailed report as their class project with all analytical results and interpretations to be mailed to the client. This might be a good option for you, and it would be absolutely free. You just would have to wait until Dec. / Jan. for your analytical report.
If you are interested, time is of essence since I am about to assign the clients to students for the Fall 2016 semester. You would need to mail your sample ASAP. Here is the link for the mailing procedures and the analytical request: http://college.earthscienceeducation.net/MIN/MINID.pdf
If you are going to take this opportunity, please email me and let me know that your sample is coming, so I can hold a student slot for you. My email: kackstae@msudenver.edu

Geology

Uwe Richard Kackstaetter, Ph.D. (Dr.K)