Geometry/Geometrical Representation

Question

I'm stuck on a problem I was hoping you could help me with.

The problem states :

"Consider the vectors AB and CD given by the points A(0, 0), B(2, 2), C(−1, 2), and D(1, 2) in R^2. Using the geometrical representation of vector addition, draw the vector AB + CD, and give the coordinates of this vector."

According to my calculations the vector for AB has (2,2) as it's coordinates and the vector for CD (2,0). I just don't know where to go from here as I'm uncertain as to how I'm meant to find the coordinates of the vector that adding AB and CD creates.

I know how to calculate the length of vector AB and CD but that's not what's required here. Thank you in advance for any help you might be able to provide me in regards to this.

Aria

Answer
Hi Ana, I would be glad to help.  Adding vectors geometrically requires drawing a parallelogram and constructing a diagonal.  You can move vectors (as long as they same length and direction) and they will be the same unit vector.  Notice AB, goes up two and right two, so starting at C, you need to create a new vector, say CB', by going up 2 and right 2.  The coordinates of this vector are C(-1, 2) and  B' (1, 4).  You must do the same D, draw a vector going up 2 and right 2.  Call the new endpoint E, or whatever.  E(3,4).  Connect B' and E to create a parallelogram. Draw the diagonal from C to E.  this vector is your vector sum.  C (-1,2) is the start point and E (3,4) is the endpoint.  You can check the answer by adding the ordinates of AB and CD.

AB
(0,0), (2,2)

CD

(-1,2), (1,2)

AB + CD

(-1, 2), (3,4)

Because A was already at the origin there are no adjustments

Geometry

Anne Losch