Geometry/Geometry (involving variables)

I am trying to find the area of a triangle.

Base= 6 - 2y

I know it should be 1/2 bh (base x height/2)
But I need to know as soon as possible what the correct answer is

Yes, Alyaa, you are correct.  The area of a triangle is (1/2)b x h.  So, multiply (1/2)(6 - 2y)(13). Notice, 6 - 2y has an even constant and an even coefficient so you can easily take (1/2) of it, by dividing each by two, to get 3 - y.  Now just multiply this by the height, 13 (remember the distributive property and multiply both terms by 13) to get 39 - 13y.  This is the area of the triangle.

39 - 13y

I'm glad to be of assistance.

Anne Losch

I cannot answer questions about non-Euclidean geometry (that has been a while). I can answer trigonometry, coordinate geometry, proofs, algebraic geometry, transformations, constructions, 3d shapes, area, perimeter, points, lines, planes, angles (adjacent, vertical, ...), parallel and perpendicular lines, polygons, circles, and anything taught in a geometry class.

I have two years teaching experience in geometry; many years tutoring Geometry.

NEA, past NCTM, MAA, AMS, and ASCD

I have a B.S. in mathematics (and computer science), and went back for my teaching certificate (with more than enough hours for a minor in education).

Past tutoring at Sylvan Learning Center, Huntington Learning Center, and private tutor. I have responded to questions on but would prefer to volunteer with All Experts.