Geometry/Special segments in Triangles

Find AB if BD is a median of triangle ABC

AB is x-7
AD is x + 3
DC is 2x - 17

I will be happy to help.  The median divides the side into two congruents parts.  Therefore, if BD is the median, AD is congruent to CD and so the measures are equal, making

x + 3 = 2x - 17

Solving this equation (and please let me know if you need help with the algebra) gets
x = 20

Plugging the value for x back into the expression for AB gets AB = 13.

Anne Losch

I cannot answer questions about non-Euclidean geometry (that has been a while). I can answer trigonometry, coordinate geometry, proofs, algebraic geometry, transformations, constructions, 3d shapes, area, perimeter, points, lines, planes, angles (adjacent, vertical, ...), parallel and perpendicular lines, polygons, circles, and anything taught in a geometry class.

I have two years teaching experience in geometry; many years tutoring Geometry.

NEA, past NCTM, MAA, AMS, and ASCD

I have a B.S. in mathematics (and computer science), and went back for my teaching certificate (with more than enough hours for a minor in education).

Past tutoring at Sylvan Learning Center, Huntington Learning Center, and private tutor. I have responded to questions on but would prefer to volunteer with All Experts.