Dear Prof Azeem
1 Century = 100 years.
100 Centuries = 100 * 100 years = 10 raised to power of 4 = 10000 years.
20th century = 1901 to 2000
21st century = 2001 to 2100 -> Currently we are in this century.
22nd century = 2101 to 2200
23rd century = 2201 to 2300
98th century = 9701 to 9800
99th century = 9801 to 9900
100th century = 9901 to 10000
101st century = 10001 to 10100
Year becomes a 5 digit number.
1 century = 100 years. Mathematically 100 centuries = 10000 years,
Is there be any other term for 100 centuries similar to 100 years
termed as a century ?.
2. Does last year of 100th century and 101st century 100 years becomes a 5 digit numeric year figure as shown above ?.
3. Can there be any other term used instead of
"We are in 100th century" ?. in 100th century as we say currently "We are in 21st century" and currently the year is 2013 ?.
Awaiting your reply,
Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar
1. Names of numbers of years are typically named in base 10: year, decade (10 years), century, (100 years), millennium (1000 years). I do not know of a term for 100 centuries.
2. Yes, what you wrote above is correct. The Wikipedia article for Century also discusses the century as X00-X99 versus X01-X00.
3. I suspect a term will be invented for that if this year numbering system is still in use.
This is not my field of expertise. I suggest you consult somebody who works with calendrical studies for more insight.
Thanks for asking,