Geometry/Measurement Dimensions

Question
QUESTION: Hello:

As someone knowledgeable in geometry, perhaps you can answer my question regarding measurements.  When the dimensions of something are measured, are the length, width, and height/depth given in the order as I have indicated, that is, length first, width second, and then height or depth third?

I thank you for your reply.

ANSWER: Hi Kenneth,

Indeed, dimensions are typically represented as length x width x depth (or front x side x height, if you prefer).  When there are only two relevant dimensions, the height is listed last.

Thanks for asking,
Azeem

QUESTION: Hello:

I want to thank you for the reply.

What is the difference between height and depth?

Which is more accurate length x width x depth or length x width x height?

I thank you again for your assistance!

Answer
Hello Kenneth,

Height refers to distance to the ground.  Depth can refer to that, but it can also refer to the distance to the back (e.g. the depth of a filing cabinet).  Many people use "height" and "depth" interchangeably.  I would say height is more accurate, but one may be more clear depending on the context.

Azeem

Geometry

Azeem Hussain