Geometry/Pythagoras Theorem

pythagoras theorem
pythagoras theorem  
In this image r^2=R^2+x^2(a/c to book)
but how
is the angle mentioned is right angle?
because pythagoras theorem is only for right angles as my knowledge?

Hi Muhammad,

The Theorem of Pythagoras is indeed only for right-angled triangles.  The picture is a three-dimensional scenario, so the angle does not look like a right angle.  If you don't look at a right angle head-on, it won't appear to be a right angle.  If you need to, draw only the xy-plane and you will see the right angle.

The angle is indeed a right angle, and the Theorem of Pythagoras can be applied.

Thanks for asking,

Azeem Hussain

I welcome your questions on algebra, 2D and 3D geometry, parabolic functions and conic sections, and any other mathematical queries you may have.

4 years as a drop-in and by-appointment tutor at Champlain College. Private tutor for dozens of clients over the past 8 years.

CALPHAD: Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry

Bachelor of Science, Major Mathematics and Major Economics, McGill University, 2014. Diploma of Collegiate Studies; Pure and Applied Science, Champlain College Saint-Lambert, 2010.