Geometry/Proportions

Question
If I had a photo of an object that is largely rectangular and contains similar 90 degree objects how can I determine its dimensions if I measured the height, width, and length in the photo but didn't know the object's orientation?

Answer
Hi James,

Unfortunately, if you do not have absolute points of reference, you cannot determine the object's dimensions.  A tight shot of a small object and a wide shot of a large object could make the objects appear the same size.  Without an indication of scale in the photo, you really cannot be sure.

Thanks for asking,
Azeem

Geometry

Azeem Hussain