Geometry/Counting Numbers

Question
Hello sir

Sir natural numbers are called counting numbers, but why whole numbers are not called counting, sir we can't count the whole numbers, only  natural numbers we can count.

Thakyou

Answer
Hi Aishwarya,

"Whole numbers" is a rather generic term.  If you can tell me the specific definition they've given you, then I may be able to answer more precisely.
For now, I will interpret "whole numbers" as integers.  This includes negative numbers and zero.

If I dumped and handful of grains of rice on the table and I asked you to count them one by one, what numbers would you use?
When counting, 1, 2, 3, etc. is the natural way to go.  It would be very unusual to use negative numbers when counting a quantity.  Whole numbers include negative numbers, therefore we do not consider whole numbers to be counting numbers.

Thanks for asking,
Azeem

Geometry

Azeem Hussain