Geometry/Counting Numbers

Hello sir

Sir natural numbers are called counting numbers, but why whole numbers are not called counting, sir we can't count the whole numbers, only  natural numbers we can count.

Hi Aishwarya,

"Whole numbers" is a rather generic term.  If you can tell me the specific definition they've given you, then I may be able to answer more precisely.
For now, I will interpret "whole numbers" as integers.  This includes negative numbers and zero.

If I dumped and handful of grains of rice on the table and I asked you to count them one by one, what numbers would you use?
When counting, 1, 2, 3, etc. is the natural way to go.  It would be very unusual to use negative numbers when counting a quantity.  Whole numbers include negative numbers, therefore we do not consider whole numbers to be counting numbers.

Thanks for asking,

Azeem Hussain

I welcome your questions on algebra, 2D and 3D geometry, parabolic functions and conic sections, and any other mathematical queries you may have.

4 years as a drop-in and by-appointment tutor at Champlain College. Private tutor for dozens of clients over the past 8 years.

CALPHAD: Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry

Bachelor of Science, Major Mathematics and Major Economics, McGill University, 2014. Diploma of Collegiate Studies; Pure and Applied Science, Champlain College Saint-Lambert, 2010.