Geometry/help

Question
Hello Sir

Sir in our text book number system chapter is there. I am not understanding what are the basics to be known before starting this chapter.

Sir another one big problem was created in this chapter,that is,When our teacher started this chapter, they explained  and told us to write the summary and come as per your comfort.So i was confused , how to start the summary, so i wrote that in Latin or Greek , mathematics means operations with numbers.So then i wrote numbers were invented , first was natural, then whole was invented because 11-11 was zero that's why zero and integers, rational, irrational, real numbers
I explained these all and in my mind so much confusions came that how numbers were invented, how they got idea of clssification , why they are classified , why if any person in olden days invented any cpncept, it is accepted,means he is also a human being like us then how his or her concepts are accepted.Like this i got confused.I searched these all questions in google but , confused more.How can i come out from confusion, because i tried to clear it but no one of thses had been cleared.

Sir if my questions are fell irritating you please I am sorry

Thankyou

Answer
Hi Apsara,

Is your course on the history of mathematics?  If not, then knowing the history of the number system is probably not needed for the chapter.

You should be able to define the major sets in the number system such as naturals, integers, rationals, irrationals, and reals.  Given a number, you should be able to say which sets it belongs to.  You should be able to explain some of the basic principles, e.g. be able to explain why 2.5 is not an irrational number.

It's perfectly fine to be curious about the history of the concepts you are learning, and I encourage you to pursue that on your own time.  However, you should focus on grasping the mathematical concept first.  That is the most important.  Try to familiarize yourself with the concepts before deep research on history.

Azeem

Geometry

Azeem Hussain