Geometry/Numbers and Numerals

Good morning sir

Sir can you explain me the difference between numerals and numbers and first you tell me 0to9 are called numerals or roman numbers are called numerals and according to defination  of numerals" A notational symbol that represents a number is called numeral", roman numbers are called numerals but our teacher told 0to 9 are numerals. Iam confused here please clear it.

Hi Aishwarya,

You can think of a number as a quantity, and a numeral as a way of representing that quantity.

So for example, whether you represent it as "5" or "V", you still are referring to the quantity "five."

Where it can get tricky (and I think this is what is confusing you), is with 0 to 9 themselves.  The digits are numerals, but when we put them together it makes a number.  So if we have the number 10, we can see it is made up of the numerals "1" and "0".  But if we have the number 1, it is made up of the numeral "1".

The definition you provided is the one you should go with.  A numeral is really just what you use to write down a number.

Thanks for asking,

Azeem Hussain

I welcome your questions on algebra, 2D and 3D geometry, parabolic functions and conic sections, and any other mathematical queries you may have.

4 years as a drop-in and by-appointment tutor at Champlain College. Private tutor for dozens of clients over the past 8 years.

CALPHAD: Computer Coupling of Phase Diagrams and Thermochemistry

Bachelor of Science, Major Mathematics and Major Economics, McGill University, 2014. Diploma of Collegiate Studies; Pure and Applied Science, Champlain College Saint-Lambert, 2010.