Geometry/Numbers and Numerals

Question
Hello sir

Sir if numerals are NOT part of the number system.  Numerals are not number.  They are only symbols used to represent number, then 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 are numbers and they are called as arithmetic numberals.

Thnks

Answer
Hi Apsara,

Let me try to explain this using an analogy to the alphabet and words.  Let's take the English language.

Words are the means by which me communicate.  But in order to form words, we need letters.  Individual letters (A, B, C, ... , Z) comprise the alphabet.  Every word we can write is represented by a sequence of letters.
In general, a letter on its own does not represent anything.  If I say P, or Z, without any context, there is no way to interpret it other than just being a letter.
However, A and I actually do have meaning on their own (in English).  In general, a letter is not a word.  However, A and I "happen to be" words.  So if I gave you "I" in isolation, it could be interpreted as just the letter I, or alternatively as a reference to myself.

Of course, other alphabets and other languages exist, but they all share a purpose: to communicate.  Words themselves represent ideas, and although the language we choose may differ, the idea that we are communicating is the same.  Whether we say "apple", "pomme", or "яаблоко", we are still referring to a particular fruit (in English, French, and Russian, respectively).

Returning to your question, numerals are the equivalent of the alphabet, and numbers are words.  We can think of 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9 as numerals that "happen to be" numbers.

I hope this helps.  Truthfully, this isn't a very fruitful discussion (pun not intended) and you should not get hung up over it.  If you have been given specific questions about numerals, I can try to help you with those.  But for now, you should be able to understand what a number is, and what a digit is (0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9), and understand that by writing a sequence of digits, you can represent a number.

Thanks for asking,
Azeem

Geometry

Azeem Hussain