Geophysics/Geophysics-well log correlation

Question
Dear Sir,
I am assigned to work on well correlation with petrel software.I have following queries .Kindly answer them.
1)what are the basic rules to keep in mind when I start well correlation.I know that a GR log and SP or resistivity along with Lithology log are needed ,but what exactly I need to consider in these logs ,is it only the lithology in different wells that needs to be considered or should I even need to consider the Geologocal time(age)  of the corresponding lithology in different wells?
2)I am also assigned to work on coming up with an algorithm of automating the well correlation.So what area should I focus while doing the automation part.Kindly introduce me to the well correlation through some good books and links .

I am very much thank ful to you for your valuable answers on Q-factors and Amplitude spectrum.They really helped me to understand the concept very well.Thank you very much for the good work you are doing .

Answer
Dear Jeevan,

I will go brief.

1) You need to clarify the objectives prior to correlation. This means that you need to know what type of correlation are you going to establish. Lithostratigraphic, chronostratigraphic, sequence stratigraphic or allostratigraphic. This is because stratigraphy is a n-set of solutions.

You better start with GR/SP/RHOB/DT logs to correlate strata. If needed, you may use the resistivity logs, which mainly suggest fluids in a rock.

You should try to consider the relative geologic time frame to constrain the correlation.

Plus, you should also know the type of basin, distance, and depositional setting per zone that you are correlating.

2) Pattern recognition, trend surface analysis, or integration.

You may see INPEFA analysis, which is a log correlation method built in CycloLog.

Glad to hear your feedback.

Cheers,

Farrukh  

Geophysics

Farrukh Qayyum