Gerbils & Hamsters/sick hampster

Amy wrote at 2013-12-03 14:23:57
My hampster has the same problem, I also thought he had wet tail, because before the swollen belly and stuck poop he had diarrhea and was very tired and jumped when I wanted to hold him.  Puss was coming out around his urethra/testical area. I started giving him just old fashioned uncooked Oatmeal,Wet Tail Drops, Fresh Water Daily, And Bene-Bac probiotic gel.  I am hoping I'm not over doing it.  He is an older golden colored hampster that we got from family.  They didn't take good care of him. I think when we took him it was too much stress, because we brought him home gave him food and water, He wasn't being fed and if he did get fed it wasn't hampster food and not frequent, His bedding was saturated with urine and feces from not being taken care of and his teeth are grown out without anything to file them.  We swiftly fed,lightly bathed,watered,and changed bedding and started spending time with him, A week later he was sick (Diarrhea,Tension,Puss from urethral area,Stuck poop) now a week and a half into it he looks better still little puss,puffy belly and stuck poop.  He's coming along.  I think I'll do a warm paper towel on his anal area and private for 5 minutes as a warm compress to soften the feces stuck and then bathe the lower portion in the sink.  I'm hoping that will help his belly too.  ANY INFO. WOULD HELP AND IS APPRECIATED! THANKS!!

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.