Gerbils & Hamsters/New hamster suddenly died

Carly wrote at 2012-11-30 15:21:45
The same thing has happened to my husband and I. Last night our little boy Oscar passed away, we rushed him to the vet as we noticed he was still trying to move but there was nothing they could do apart from help him go. We are utterly devestated, this is the third time this year this has happened to us, two boys and a girl. All about 4 months old and all quite small. We have another girl who has been fine the whole time, shared toys, fed on the same food ...etc. So we are completely stumped and really very scared and paranoid as we only have them for 2 months and then out of the blue they pass in exactly the same way after having been healthy happy and active.

We don't know what to do anymore!

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.