Gerbils & Hamsters/Hamster tumor

Frederick Kwek wrote at 2011-03-16 13:55:39
Dear Guys,

I also have a winter white hamster having a similar problem.  Initially, the lump is soft when it first developed. After about 1 week, it became bigger and now it feels harder when I touch it.  I'm not sure if it is a tumor or filled with pus?  Do you think I can get the Vet to drain the lump off with a syringe?  Or is there any medication that could heal it?  Hope to hear from you...Thanks a million.

Linda T wrote at 2014-06-05 05:34:12
I cannot believe that I found this web site today! I took my hamster to the vet today because she developed two tumors within two days. She is about one and nine months old and she has been very healthy. She has been active and seems to be her happy self. No problems with eating or drinking. She is also a Syrian. Her name is Baby Girl. The vet told me exactly what you were told. I,too, have been struggling with what is best for Baby Girl. I do not want her to suffer. Fortunatly,her tumors are not attached to anything. The surgery costs $330.00 but I do not care about the money. I will pray that we make the right decision for our precious hammies!

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.