Gerbils & Hamsters/my dwarf hamster had 8 babies!

She had them around 3 or 4 days ago. At first I counted 7 babies and her stomach and her move weird as if she were going to throw up or something and makes weird squeaky noises. Like 20 minutes ago I counted the babies again and now there is 8! And is still doing the same movement and weird noises! :/ what's wrong with her?://

Hi Yvette

Thanks for your question - apologies for the day in responding.

This sounds really strange.  i have heard of hamsters postponing litters before now or reabsorbing them, but I have never heard of babies being born days apart.  Is there any chance that you just miscounted?  It is very difficult to see how many in a litter when they are new born - often they are tucked so deep in the nest that it is difficult to know for sure how many there are.

The sounds and behaviour that you describe certainly appear to be the type that you witness during the birthing process.  have any more babies appeared since then?  How is mum behaving?  is she OK.

Assuming she is Ok it is worth making sure she has plenty of food to get her strength back.  I tend to give my nursing mums baby food along with their usual hamster mix. This is full of added nutrients - I usually buy the powdered porridge oat variety, and mix a little with water.  When the babies are old enough - i.e. around 2 weeks of age and leaving the nest they will eat this too if it is in a low enough dish.

I hope everything is OK.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.