Gerbils & Hamsters/Hamster tubes

Hi Sheila,
I want to expand my Syrian's cage by connecting it to a 10 gallon tank. I went to the petstore and bought Crittertrail tubes since it was compatible with the cage I have, but it seems to be a tight fit for my guy. Could you please suggest some tube brands (url links would be splendid!) that are large enough for a Syrian?
Thank you,

Hi Angelika

Thanks for your question - I'm not sure I can help you though.  I don't have cages with tubes, mainly because of the number of hamsters I've got it would take forever to get them cleaned out if they had tubes.

In the past I have tried one or two cages that were sold for Syrians with tubes and my hamsters all managed to get through them.  I'm surprised that the crittertrail tubes are a tight fit.  Some Syrians, especially the Teddy Bears can be quite large compared with the smaller built Syrians.  

Syrians can somehow change their body shape and squeeze through small spaces (compared with gerbils who can't change shape).  The problem I have experienced with tubes are that hamsters do tend to pack bedding/food in them which makes it a very tight squeeze to get through, or they try and get through them with packed cheeks.

I am afraid it is probably a case of just looking around, as I can't recommend any as such.

Sorry I can't help you with this.  Hope you find some tubes that are OK.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.