Gerbils & Hamsters/Male gerbls

My male Gerbal is bleeding from i think in between his balls and i dont know what to do i really need advice i need to know whats wroing im really worried and dontknow what to do PLEASE write back as soon as posible.!

Hi Alondra

thanks for your question.

How old is your gerbil?  Is he living alone or with others?

If he is with others, is there any chance they have been fighting?  Is there any chance he has injured himself on something?  if so, you need to keep the area clean - you could gently clean it with warm salt water.

If this bleeding is coming out of his anus, then this could be a number of things. Old gerbils can develop tumors, and it could be that he has one and it has ruptured.  They can also get constipated or if they suffer from diarrhoea they can have prolapses of their intestines - this is where the intestines are forced out of the body - but it is usually obvious when this happens and you need urgent veterinary attention.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific but it is difficult to know what is happening without more information or seeing him.

If there he is still bleeding, is there a local vet you can get him to?  Check the vet treats small animals, and also check their fees as they usually offer a reduced fee for a gerbil/hamster, but you need to confirm this with them.  

I hope you get on OK.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.