Gerbils & Hamsters/my teddy bear hampster

hello we have had our teddy bear hampster for a lil over a year now, but for the past couple of days i have been finding blood in his cage, not too sure where it is its coming from. can you please help??

Hi Erin

Thanks for your question.  

Blood is always something that needs checking.

It could be that he has just cut himself on a sharp edge, in which case this should clear up.  However, hamsters can bleed for other reasons.

Around the age of 18 months or so they are prone to developing tumors, and these can rupture and blood can come out of their rear end. They can also suffer intestinal problems - i.e. if they had been suffering from constipation or diarrhoea they can suffer a prolapse of the intestines.  Both of these conditions are serious and would need a vet to check him out.

I suggest you try and identify where the blood is coming from before you head to the vet in case this is something very straightforward.  However, if you do discover it coming from his rear end, then I would be tempted to get a veterinary opinion.  Especially if there is any change in his behaviour - i.e. drinking more than usual, looking dull, sitting hunched, not wanting to move etc.

If he is behaving normally and isn't too bothered, then this might be nothing to worry about, but I suggest doing a little detective work to see if you can find the source.

I hope you get on OK.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.