Gerbils & Hamsters/Hamster not drinking water.

Question
Hi i have two hamsters,both are Syrian . Both were drinking water when they wer together.last week they mated and i separated them.Both stopped drinking water for the past 24 hrs.I left the male in the same cage and got the female a new cage.I'am afraid as the female is pregnant. Pls reply fast.........thank you.

Answer
Hi Subhash

Thanks for your question.

Generally hamsters don't drink much water - occasionally you see them drink but often you don't.  It is important they have a fresh water supply however.  Excessive water consumption is usually something to be concerned about, although pregnant and nursing hamsters will drink more.

Excessive water consumption is normally a sign of diabetes, kidney problems or tumors - I'm sure neither of your hamters have these and your hamsters are fine.

How are they behaving generally?  In case the female is pregnant, don't over-feed her - just give her usual amount of food.  Then if a litter appears you can increase her food then by giving her baby food, porridge, and extra seeds, nuts, etc. as she will need more strength to nurse her litter.

I hope this helps put your mind at rest.

Regards
Sheila

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby