Gerbils & Hamsters/New to Teddy Bears

I've recently looked up hamsters, and I fallen in love with Teddy's. I love their personality and their cuteness of course! ;)
I am one of those owners that research for months to years before getting an animal.
Here I'm just look for basic information, how to buy and anything else that I would need to know.
ps I read your expert instructions and I totally agree with all of it! I used to be an expert in rats and I got about five questions on average, my most I think was 7 (That was my limit) So now rush!

Basically Teddy Bear hamsters are just long hair Syrian hamsters.

I think I've answered this question several times before so you can look up what other tips I gave, but the main points to consider on buying your first are the following:

Don't settle on a hamster just because of the color. Go to several stores, handle as many as you can, and pick the one that will tolerate being handled the best. The one time I didn't follow my own advice and let the store worker pick one out for me it was the meanest hamster I ever owned. After handling all the hammies you can take you'll notice that some totally don't mind being picked up and held in your hands, while others will squirm, bite, and try to get away. Males in general also tend to be a safe bet since they are more mellow.

I always go with aquarium cages. The plastic cages are a nightmare to clean and will become chewed up quickly. Both plastic and wire bar encourage the hamster to chew on it's environment, which isn't ideal, not to mention LOUD. They can't chew or climb glass so it keeps them from escaping as well.

Other than that it's got to be fairly similar to owning a rat. Aspen shavings are best, blended bag diet that includes pellets and not just seeds, water bottle, wheel, chew sticks, Igloo or other sleeping chamber, etc.

ps You're my first question in probably 2 years since I've been on indefinite vacation, and I'm about to go back on indefinite vacation! I just want to quit but I think if I do my past answers will go away, and people still read my past answers. I'm really just over it and the constant "omg plz help mi by my first hampster k thx" that compiles 95% of my question base.

Gerbils & Hamsters

NO, NONE, ZERO, ABSOLUTELY ***NO DWARF OR GERBIL QUESTIONS*** I REPEAT NOOOO DWARF OR GERBIL QUESTIONS!I CAN'T answer them, even if I'm the only expert available. I specialize in SYRIAN HAMSTERS ONLY like black bears, goldens, teddies, and more. I'm an experienced breeder and raised hamsters for the past 10 years. I can help with how to buy your first, how to house and care for your hamster, nutrition, showing, and other general questions. I can help with most behavioral problems too. I am the longest running hamster expert on this page, since 2001.
***I WILL NOT answer questions regarding:

No Gerbil questions

No Dwarf hamster questions(Robo and Russian are dwarfs!!)

No Taming questions (too lengthy, too many excellent sites to consult first)

No Illness, Cause Of Death, or "My hamster is dying please help me" I can't fix your hamster. If your hamster has a broken leg PLEASE TAKE IT TO A VET don't bother asking a question to anyone because we obviously can't repair it, we don't like the animals to suffer. If you can't take the time to read this then I don't take the time to read your question and may write you a rude response because your too impatient to read!***

I have worked with hamsters all my life.