Gerbils & Hamsters/second time my hamsters eye won't open

The eye I cleaned yesterday is closed again today. I used a wet qtip and cleaned his eye yesterday and his eye did open. Today when I checked on him, the same eye is closed and the other eye is starting to close. I used a wet qtip and wiped both eyes but he would turn away from me not wanting to be cleaned. He is three months old and I bought him from the pet store a couple days ago. Is he allergic to the bedding or something in his cage? I use Carefresh Natural Bedding.

Hi Alicia

Thanks for your question.

Some hamsters get this more than others. It can sometimes indicate illness but some of my hamsters who regularly have a sticky eye are fine. Wiping the area with a warm damp cloth usually helps.

It could be some sort of allergic reaction - you would need to do some detective work to find out if it is.  If you remove his bedding and just give him paper bedding for a week and see if this makes a difference. Unless there is sign of discharge and/or he behaves differently and becomes dull I wouldn't worry too much. But if there are changes in his behaviour then it would be worth getting him checked out.

I hope this helps.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.