Gerbils & Hamsters/Skinny hamster

I bought a syrian hamster 3weeks ago he is so cute and so friendly he already knows his name but I got him at a pet store and he was very skinny I trying to fatten him up but I can still feel ribs and spine I've come attached to the little fella and don't want to lose him so please help

Hamsters name:Charlie
My name:Maddy

Hi Maddy

Thanks for your question and photo.

The best way to get a bit of weight on a hamster is to give them baby food - if you buy the powdered variety (mine love creamy porridge oats) and mix a little with water.  If you give him a small amount of this daily for a week or two. It is very important that he has his usual food too especially hard food, such as the dry hamster mix - as you don't want his teeth overgrowing.

You could also give him a little scrambled egg, small piece of cheese, and sunflower seeds.  I'm sure he is fine - some don't gain a lot of weight and always remain quite small, whereas others become rather large!

I hope you get on OK.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.