Gerbils & Hamsters/Hamster has impacted cheek/pouch

Question
Hi.

I noticed that a corn is stuck in my dwarf hamsters pouch for several days... I did some reading and wanted to know if massaging the cheek/pouch will help or must I seek out vet help?

Answer
Hi Ruan

Thanks for your question - apologies for the delay in responding.

Sometimes hamster do get food stuck in their pouches. This could be for a number of reasons.

You can try to empty it but be careful as you don't want to damage it. Working from the bottom of the pouch gently try to squeeze the impacted food out - a bit like squeezing a tube of toothpaste. If you can feel the food moving carry on. If it doesn't move don't continue but instead get veterinary advice. Hamsters can develop tumors or abscesses and there is always the possibility it is this. If so your vet can advise you. They would also be able to flush out the cheek pouch.

Some foods such as hamster 'chocolate' can block pouches due to its high fat content and therefore foods like this should be avoided.

I hope this helps you.

Regards
Sheila  

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby