Gerbils & Hamsters/gerbils broken arm

Question
Are gerbil broke her leg while running around !!!We would like to know if it will heal at all!And if it doesn't what can we do to help it heal?

Answer
Hi Anna

Thanks for your question.  Often broken legs heal on their own however it is important she gets to rest it - this means removing any platforms from her cage so that she doesn't climb. Make sure her food and water are closeby. Also remove her wheel if she has one and avoid handling her for a few weeks.

If however her leg becomes swollen or discoloured then definitely get her to a vet. If this is a serious fracture or if the circulation is compromised then it might need amputating but straight forward fractures tend to heal ok.

I hope this helps you.

Regards
Sheila

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby