Gerbils & Hamsters/gerbils broken arm

Are gerbil broke her leg while running around !!!We would like to know if it will heal at all!And if it doesn't what can we do to help it heal?

Hi Anna

Thanks for your question.  Often broken legs heal on their own however it is important she gets to rest it - this means removing any platforms from her cage so that she doesn't climb. Make sure her food and water are closeby. Also remove her wheel if she has one and avoid handling her for a few weeks.

If however her leg becomes swollen or discoloured then definitely get her to a vet. If this is a serious fracture or if the circulation is compromised then it might need amputating but straight forward fractures tend to heal ok.

I hope this helps you.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.