Gerbils & Hamsters/Russian dwarf hamster

Hiya, I recently bought a russian dwarf hamster from Pets at Home and everything has been fine, I think, but the other day when I let him run about the kitchen, he kept going over to my skirting boards and scratching the floor then does like a back flip, or more like a roll over, everytime he goes near a skirting board he does this the whole way up it and I don't understand why he does this :(
Any ideas? He is only about 14 weeks old

Many thanks, Shannon

Hi Shannon

Thanks for your question - I'm honestly not sure if I can give you an explanation for this.

It does sound strange, but I have seen hamsters do strange things before.  If you put ledges in his cage does he do the same thing?  Dwarf hamsters don't really climb but they can backflip - I've seen this on YouTube before now.

Sorry I can't give you an explanation - as long as he is behaving normally the rest of the time I think it is safe to assume that this is just one of his funny little ways!

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.