Gerbils & Hamsters/Feeding dwarf hamster treats

I read on another website that too many seeds were bad for a hamster.  

"You should take care to avoid feeding too many nuts or seeds to a dwarf hamster. Nuts and seeds are highly fatty foods and may cause a condition known as "heat" in a dwarf hamster, which can result in loss of fur. One or two nuts every other day is probably sufficient if your hamster is a dwarf."-

So is it alright to feed one or two seeds as a treat everyday if feeding them a teaspoon is okay?

You need to be careful not to just give seeds as they are fattening - however when given as part of a varied diet they are fine.  The reason for giving a teaspoon of seeds is for treating diabetes when you need to increase their essential fatty acids however for healthy hamsters I would suggest giving less than this daily. I would probably give about a teaspoon of seeds a week in these cases. Try to vary their diet - cooked egg, cheese or even baby food now and again are also fine to give.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.