Gerbils & Hamsters/how to NOT make my hamster bored

my hamster gets so bored!!can you help me by giving me some toys that will help?

Hi Riley

Sorry to hear that your hamster is bored. I'm assuming this is a Syrian.  It is important that a hamster's cage is large and the hamster has an opportunity to climb therefore the wire cages are better for this. You can buy ladders that you can attach to the top of a wire cage. Also make sure the wheel is large enough - the small wheels are too small for an adult Syrian. There are edible toys called snack shaks which are good. Also exercise balls are a great way to give a hamster some variety. If you tape over any joins in it  as they do have a habit of opening if they bang into furniture. I let mine run around in their ball for about 30 minutes each evening and they really seem to enjoy this.

If this is a dwarf hamster then it is good to put lots of tubes in their tank as they like exploring the. You can also buy mini exercise balls for dwarf hamsters.

I hope this helps you.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.