Gerbils & Hamsters/HELP PLEASE

My hamster is bleeding from her bottom/vagina area. This just started yesterday. I have her very comfortable now and she just seems so weak and not herself. I cleaned her bottom fresh and everything was sanatized and like I said she is comfortable. I just was wondering what I can do for her and want to know if anything at home I would be able to do for her or if I should go to a vet asap. I saw on here how you specialize in hamsters and I just wanted to write you because I am concerned.

Hi Melissa

I'm sorry to hear about your hamster - apologies for the delay in responding but I've been having a few email issues.

How old is your hamster?  Occasionally female hamsters do bleed, although it literally is a spot or two, and this never occurs again.  However, if the bleeding is more often than this, or if the hamster is elderly, then there are other reasons.

Elderly hamsters can develop abdominal tumors.  When they get these they tend to appear to lose weight on their top half, but their bottom half gets larger.  As the tumor grows it can affect their walking.  If the tumor ruptures, you can see blood from the rear end and the hamster is very dull with this as they are in pain. In these cases euthansia might be the best option, although sometimes vets will try pain killers and antibiotics to make the hamster comfortable.

From what you have said I would suggest getting her to a vet as soon as possible. The fact that she is weak and not her usual self suggests that this is something other than a freak drop of blood.

If you don't know of any vets it is worth phoning around one or two to see if they have anyone who specialises in hamsters.  Also check their fees before you go - most vets will offer a much reduced price for a small animal but it is always worth establishing this before a consultation.

I do hope you get on OK.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.