Gerbils & Hamsters/please help

Question
hi i have a male hamster i got off craigslist and yesterday 5/5/2013 and it is a male and i was wandering if one of the  males could turn into a female so they could breed ????????????

and one of my hamsters has two bumps on his sides and i don't know if he has cancer or not .............

please help

Answer
Hi Zoee

Thanks for your question.

Hamsters do not change sex. Regarding the bumps you mention if these are on his rear end they could be testicles - these can be quite prominent and sometimes appear lopsided or uneven.

If these are on his hips then they could be scent glands. These are symmetrical on the hips and sometimes have a brown spot on them - sometimes they are bald in this area and some hamsters lick them a lot - this is normal.

I hope this helps.

Regards
Sheila

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby