Gerbils & Hamsters/panda hamster losing fur & mites in food

Hi,I would like to know what's causing my hamster to lose his fur  on his lower part of his body, and .I notice mites in his food why is that

Hi Estela

Thanks for your question. Whereabouts is the fur loss? Is it on his hips? Is it symmetrical? If so it could just be the fur thinning by his scent glands that are on his hips. If not how old is he? When hamsters get old their fur can thin out.

If he is scratching then it would be worth treating him for mites. You can buy an anti parasite medication - made by beapher - it is the one for hamsters. If you can't get this there are others but you need to make sure it contains the drug ivermectin. It is applied externally to the back of his neck. It is important to read the instructions carefully.

I don't understand about the mites in his food. If you think there are parasites in it then you should throw it out and thoroughly clean his bowl before refilling.

I hope this helps you.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.