Gerbils & Hamsters/My gerbil

Hi my name is aliyah and hy gerbils name is Bella and also I want to know that if she is going to be ok and what I mean about ok I mean that she has a pink eye and is not looking too good it looks like the pink eye is closing up on the right of her eye and I don't like the look of ger eye and I hope she is ok and she's not going to die . And also what should I do ??????????? ;  (

Hi Aliyah

Thanks for your question. It is hard to know what is wrong without seeing her but eye infections do need treating. She could have injured herself and this has infected. You should carefully bathe the area with cooled salt water as this might help. However if this is infected she will need eye medication. You might be able to get it from a pet shop otherwise you would need to see a vet. If you don't know any vets it is worth phoning a few to see if they have a small animal specialist and also establish their fees before you go - most times they offer a reduced fee for small animals.

I hope this helps

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.