Gerbils & Hamsters/hamster

Question
my hamster stuffed a whole cheese wedge in her pouch where it got stuck, she struggled to get it out therefore I helped by gently pulling It out. I then broke the cheese wedge into smaller pieces and she continued to use her cheek pouch, she's acting normal but will she be okay?

Answer
Hi Leanne

Thanks for your question.

This should be fine, however, the problem in pouching fatty foods is that they can melt in the cheek pouch and make it difficult for the hamster to remove them - hence the reason why I never give mine the 'hamster chocolates' or yoghurt drops.

If you find that she starts to smell - which could indicate that the cheese is well and truly stuck in her cheek, then you might need to get her to a vet who can very careful rinse out the cheek pouch, but I doubt that she will need this to be done - the situation will probably sort itself out.

I hope you find this helpful.

Regards
Sheila

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby