Gerbils & Hamsters/hamster

my hamster stuffed a whole cheese wedge in her pouch where it got stuck, she struggled to get it out therefore I helped by gently pulling It out. I then broke the cheese wedge into smaller pieces and she continued to use her cheek pouch, she's acting normal but will she be okay?

Hi Leanne

Thanks for your question.

This should be fine, however, the problem in pouching fatty foods is that they can melt in the cheek pouch and make it difficult for the hamster to remove them - hence the reason why I never give mine the 'hamster chocolates' or yoghurt drops.

If you find that she starts to smell - which could indicate that the cheese is well and truly stuck in her cheek, then you might need to get her to a vet who can very careful rinse out the cheek pouch, but I doubt that she will need this to be done - the situation will probably sort itself out.

I hope you find this helpful.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.