Gerbils & Hamsters/Babay hamster :( helppp

My Hamsters have had babies twice, the first time with 5 babies, and this time with 3. The first time when the babies were still only a couple days old they ate all of them :( this time the babies were about 2 weeks old, eyes barley opened, but they had fur this time, i walked in on the mother eating one of them :(((( we didn't know what to do cause we didn't want the mother to eat the other two so we took them out of the cage and put them separately but now we don't know how to care for them! Please help :(

Hi Nadine

I'm sorry to hear about your hamster babies.  In cases like this if a mother eats her babies I would never let her have any more.  They eat their babies if they are scared, if they feel threatened or if they feel there isn't enough food or space in the cage.

Two week old babies will need constant care.  They need a special kind of milk (not cows milk).  A vet should be able to let you have some of this in powder form.  They need feeding every few hours.  At this age they can eat solid foods so make sure they have plenty of seeds, and dried food.  Also give them some raw vegetable (avoid lettuce), scrambled egg, cheese, raw porridge oats and they can eat baby food. Providing they get enough food they should be OK, but you must not return the mother to them. It is important that they have access to water so please make sure the water bottle is low enough for them to reach.

Are these Syrian hamsters or dwarf hamsters?  If they are Syrian at 4 weeks you need to sex and separate out the males.  They can live together until they are 6 weeks and at that time all the hamsters will need a cage of their own.  If these are dwarf hamsters, they still need to be sexed at 4 weeks and the males separated, but they can live in cages of females and males.  I doubt you will be able to reintroduce the mother however.

I hope this helps you.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.