Gerbils & Hamsters/Hamster's potty = his house!

Question
Hi!
I got my hamster a little hut to sleep in but turns out she also uses it to poo in. Last time i cleaned the cage I tried to place a bit of the old poopy bedding in a different corner of the cage hoping she'd associate things differently this time around, but she just went back to using her house as her toilet as well (she stores all her food there too!)
I don't know if that's normal, or if it isn't safe for her?

Thanks!
Juliette

Answer
Hi Juliette

Thanks for your question.

A lot of hamsters poop in their bedding.  In the wild they sometimes eat it because it contains a lot of nutrients. I don't think you will be able to stop her doing this. If, however she pees on her food or in her bedding then you might be able to stop this. You can buy hamster toilets - you need a special hamster litter that you can buy in pet shops. You then put some soiled bedding in the hamster toilet and then put the toilet in a corner of the cage - they usually get used to using it fairly quickly.

I hope this helps you.

Regards
Sheila  

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby