Gerbils & Hamsters/Gerbil

KJ wrote at 2014-02-27 21:33:37
Thanks Sheila  I took him to the vet and his bottom front teeth looked a little long so she clipped them. But unfortunately when that happened the edge of one of the teeth splintered and the gum bled. She noticed that the gum looked more red in that area to begin with so I've started him on antibiotics and metacam for pain. He is eating the soft food I'm giving him. He unfortunately hates being handled and when I'm trying to give him his meds twice a day he's sure I'm trying to kill him. I feel so bad, but I guess that's the only way. So it does sound like a tooth/gum problem, but what exactly I don't know. Hope the week of antibiotics helps. Thanks for your time.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.