Gerbils & Hamsters/how much bedding and litter do gerbils need?

Question
SO,I am getting gerbils tomorrow, and we have a 3 story high cage with tunnels etc. I am aware you need bedding but where do you put the litter and do I put bedding on all 3 layers?

Answer
Hi Kim

Thanks for your question.

The great things about gerbils is that they are very clean animals - I've never put litter in, just some woodchip in one of the levels.  Also you don't need to put in much bedding. This is because they shred cardboard and make their own bedding which they also burrow in. It is important that you give them lots to chew - it is amazing how many toilet rolls they can shred in a day - it is worth getting friends and family to save these for you otherwise you won't be able to keep up with them!  Let the bedding build up so they can burrow -  I used to remove it when it got a bit too deep and only fully cleaned them out every couple of weeks.

I hope this helps you.

Regards
Sheila  

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby