Gerbils & Hamsters/is my hamster is pregnent ?

my hamster is eating alot and lazy.she don't like that food but now she's eating my hamster is pregnent ?

Hi Suvarna

Thanks for your question. It is hard to know if a hamster is pregnant as they don't often show signs until they are close to giving birth and then they tend to show a bulge on their hips. Are you expecting her to be pregnant? If you think she is pregnant it is important not to over feed right now - just give the usual amount of food. If she has a litter then you should increase her food so that she can feed her babies,

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.