Gerbils & Hamsters/Syrian Hamster

Question
I bought a hamster for my son on 3/19. Everything seemed fine at first now he only sleeps in his wheel. He does everything in his wheel and only comes down to bring food and bedding up. I'm just wondering if this is normal behavior or if we should be concerned? Is there anything we can do to change this? Thank you in advance!

Answer
Hi Amanda

Thanks for your question.

Some hamsters do this - for some reason they feel safe in their wheel.  As he is new he may well snap out of this behaviour.  Has he got other places to sleep in his cage?  If not, it might be worth putting in a few hamster houses (try to avoid fully enclosed plastic ones as they can attract condensation). You could also put hamster toys and some cardboard tubes in the cage for him to go through.  Once he has marked his territory he might relax a bit more.

I'm sure he will be fine.

Regards
Sheila

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby