Gerbils & Hamsters/roboroski

i had 2 roboroski hamsters in the same cage one died the other one is acting strang what shall i do

Hi Kornelia

I'm sorry to hear that one of your robos died.   Hamsters can pine for one another if they have been used to living in a group.  However, it would be almost impossible to reintroduce your hamster to another one as they are likely to fight and ultimately end up needing to be separated.

The main thing is to make a real fuss of your hamster - have you thoroughly cleaned the cage and any toys/tubes etc. that are in there so that the other hamster's scent isn't easy to smell any more?

When you say your hamster is acting strange - in what particular way?  Do you think this is more than pining? How old is the remaining hamster? Why did your other hamster die?

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.