Gerbils & Hamsters/Two sirians living together

I got two female sirian hamsters a little while ago (they were two sisters named Bambi and thumper). Sadly Thumper died leaving her sister all alone. My parents said that I could get another one if I wanted. I have read about not putting two sirian hamsters together but it worked so well with them being related. I just don't want my little Bambi to be lonely.

Hi Amie

I'm sorry to hear about Thumper.

Please don't try to introduce another hamster to Bambi - Syrians are solitary creatures and if you put another one with her they will fight and this could result in serious injury or worse. I think you were lucky that Bambi and Thumper got on so well but this is very unusual.

Bambi will be fine on her own.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.