Gerbils & Hamsters/Hamster Biting Cage

His name is Avery. I'm very scared for him because he chews on the bars of his cage And as he chews on them he climbs them so eventually he ends up upside down on the roof of his cage. Is this normal because I can't seem to find any cases like his anywhere. I found him in an abandoned apartment

Hi Tiara

Thanks for your question.

Avery's behaviour sounds very normal. A lot of hamsters chew bars. Their teeth grow all the time and they must chew to keep them short, Make sure he has things to chew - there should be some hard biscuits in his food - if not he could have some dog biscuits added. You can also buy hamster chews and edible houses and toys that are safe for them to chew (called Snackshak).

If he likes climbing across the top of the cage it is a good idea to put some deep bedding in the cage in case he falls so that it will help prevent injury.

I hope this helps.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.