Gerbils & Hamsters/Pet hampster

Question
My pet hampster has started scratching herself all the time & I don't know why. Any idea's please?

Answer
Hi Moira

Thanks for your question.

Hamsters can get mites - this is easy to treat in Syrians but difficult in dwarf hamsters. If your hamster is a Syrian then it is worth treating with an antiparisite medication. There are different brands but it must contain a drug called Ivermectin. It is a spot on drug that is usually applied on the back of the neck. If your hamster is a dwarf then this drug is too strong and you would need to get veterinary advice.

Another thing that can make hamsters scratch is if they are allergic to their wood chip so it might be worth trying different beddings.

I hope this helps you.

Regards
Sheila

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby