Gerbils & Hamsters/My hamster has a peice of plastic in her mouth

My russian dwarf hamster got the plastic part from an earbud. I think she has it stuffed in one of her cheeks right now. Will she swallow it or spit it out? What will happen if she swallows it? Should i take her to the vet? Please help!!

Hi Janine

Thanks for your question - sorry for the delay in responding.

How is your hamster? Has the piece of plastic re-appeared yet?  Usually when a hamster pouches an item there isn't a problem with it.  At some stage they remove it.  The only problem with pouching solid items is if they scratch the inside of the cheek pouch when removing it.  

If you gently touch the cheek pouch can you still feel it in there?  If so you could gently try to ease it out but unless it is causing her a problem I would be inclined to let her remove it.  

Should it damage the inside of her mouth and there is a different smell coming from her then she might have infected it - in which case a vet might need to remove the foreign body and flush out her cheek.

I hope she is OK.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.