Gerbils & Hamsters/White disharge from my gerbil's penis

Picture of the discharge
Picture of the dischar  
Hi and thank you very much for reading my question. My gerbil had this white/clear discharge from his penis. I know it most likely is semen, but I'm asking just to be sure. He gets lots of exercise and has a controlled diet. So I'm asking if this is normal or if its something I should be concerned about.

Hi Karrie

Thanks for your question.

You are probably correct about this. If it were pus and therefore indicating some form of infection it would smell, be more of a yellow colour and there may well be other signs that something was wrong - i.e a lump of some sort of a behavioural change. I'm afraid I can't see from the picture but if you are worried it would be worth getting someone to have a look - either a vet or if you have a helpful/knowledgable pet shop they might help.

I would be tempted just to monitor him to check there are no underlying symptoms.

I hope this helps you.

Gerbils & Hamsters

Sheila Adby

Syrian hamsters are my specialty, however, I have kept Campbells,Winter Whites and gerbils in the past. I can advise on most subjects associated with hamsters, including housing, bedding, feeding, handling, new borns and catching escapees. I have had some experience of various health problems with hamsters and can offer my opinion and advice on basic health issues, however I am not a qualified vet and therefore cannot recommend drugs etc. My website is

I have been keeping hamsters and other small animals for more than 12 years. My favourites are Syrian hamsters and I foster litters and 'difficult' hamsters for a rescue centre. My job is to tame hamsters ready for re-homing, which is extremely rewarding. I also enjoy looking after new litters and raising the pups. I have co-written a book on hamsters with my local vet and have a website:

Hamsters in Sickness and in Health - Sheila Adby and Dan O'Neill ISBN186163218-5 (Capall Bann Publishing)

Educated to A Level standard in the UK.