Geriatric Medicine/Father's situation

Question
 My father had taken falls at home. Many falls were not his fault, bedspread corners, Flimsy T.V. table used to steady himself, throw rugs. He also reached to turn off lights and lost his balance.etc.
  He had taken a major fall and went to the hospital. He went to the nursing home for Rehab. He was put into a closed ward where people were not even able to talk. My father had all his faculties and had a good memory, however he was asking the same questions at times.
   My mother kept him at the facility. His doctor is young and my father was the first patient in a nursing home. My sister and I feel my mother should look  a doctor in internal medicine or geriatric medicine and a new facility that is more stimulating. My mother thinks that everything is fine. What do you think would be best for my father and what information could we provide my mother so she would consider other options?
Joanne

Answer
Hello Joanne,

I am sorry to hear about your father's recent health challenges.  I would strongly recommend you find a Geriatric Medicine Specialist who will visit your Dad, review his recent medical history and do his own assessment of (1) his current physical & mental health, and (2) his prognosis.  Hopefully that will shed some light on what the best care options would be for your Dad and then you as a family can discuss care options.

I hope this answered your question and good luck to all of you,
Margot

Geriatric Medicine

Margot RN BScN GNC