Geriatric Medicine/Feeding tube

Question
I know this might not be your expertise but I literally couldn't find anyone on the site that handle surgery in general, gastric stuff in specific, or a category somewhere between. My mother is 65 or so and had a stroke 6 years ago and has been at home mostly since then. She has speak aphasia and lack of most control  on right side. She was on  a feed tube after brain surgery where she had her stroke but we managed to get her eating solid foods again. Yesterday she seemed to have trouble taking her pills and any food and the night before she couldn't seem to swallow her pills at all without me practically forcing them down her throat. Yesterday she spent all day in hospital and will spend another night here taking I assume all meds through IV or shot.. I guess today she passed a barium swallow test and had a decent breakfast with mostly solid foods but still seems to hold stuff in her mouth. How permanent are feeding tubes usually? Compared to breathing  tubes should one be able to work their way back off of feeding tubes without much trouble ones a swallowing issue is resolved? I'm worried we're not out of the woods yet.

Answer
Hi James,

First I'd like to apologize for the delay in response time. Generally, I am able to respond within 24 hours. However, today I received an email from AllExperts stating that I had not responded to your question yet. The reason is that they did not notify me via my personal email as they normally do.

I am sorry to hear of your mother's repeated issues with eating after suffering from a stroke. If she passed a swallow test, generally this is followed by a few sessions with a speech and language therapist (SLT).  If this has not been done, I would suggest that she have an evaluation by a SLT. They would work with her to determine what thickness and what types of foods and liquids are easiest for her to swallow, and more importantly, the safest to prevent aspiration into her lungs.  

A feeding tube can be placed temporarily or permanently. Sometimes, as with my dad, a person can have a feeding tube placed to ensure nutrition is provided on days that he or she either does not feel like eating or is having difficulty eating. It is used as a backup or safety measure to ensure that the individual will receive adequate nutrition. It will also prevent future hospitalizations for this reason. Hospitalizations play havoc with the memory and general feelings of safety and well-being in our senior population.

It is important to remember that receiving nutrition is what is most important, not necessarily the manner in which it is provided. If your mom wants to continue eating foods orally and it has been determined that she can do so safely, remember to use small portions and in the consistency which she can chew and swallow best. This may be a soft diet or a mechanical diet. Only a SLT and a dietitian can determine which will be safest for your mom. Some individuals just have a tube feeding running at night when they are sleeping and that way they can eat what they want during the day. However, because of the added assurance of the night time feeding, no one will be pressuring them and there will be less angst about how much is eaten during the day.

There are many reasons why a person doesn't eat. Sometimes it's because they are not hungry. Sometimes it's because they are depressed. And sometimes, it's because the brain which has been affected by the stroke no longer remembers to eat.

I hope that this information is helpful. Again, I am sorry for the delay.

Best of luck to you and your mom!

Gayle

Geriatric Medicine

Gayle Gwozdz